This blog began in 2003 as Mrs. Rabbitt's Bookbag and continued as From the Library Director from 2005-2010. You can read my newspaper columns at FromtheLibraryColumn published Thursdays in the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Why Not Your Library?

As the years go by as a orofessional librarian I keep less books in my home. Oh, yes, they look great and decorating with books is a real art. I've been very proud of my collections in the past, having actual 'libraries', rooms devoted to books and reading, in my own homes. I've even cataloged them using the ReaderCat barcode scanner. However, these days most of my books are long-gone in favor of never moving books again! It just doesn't make that much sense to me to hang on when reciprocal borrowing from Massachusetts libraries is so easy.

Then again ... perhaps I would need that certain book at 3 a.m. on a Sunday morning? Not me. Or perhaps I am just jealous, not having the space in my life that I once had. I don't think so.

However, that said ... if you want to read about a couple who did organize and catalog their home collection, it is an interesting example of
Home Library, Extreme Style!