This blog began in 2003 as Mrs. Rabbitt's Bookbag and continued as From the Library Director from 2005-2010. You can read my newspaper columns at FromtheLibraryColumn published Thursdays in the Norwood Transcript and Bulletin.

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tourist Trap

What do Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco and Plymouth Rock have in common? They are both the U.S.'s Most Overrated Tourist Traps, according to Yahoo Travel.

I recently returned to Castroville's Giant Artichoke Restaurant near Monterey, California after many years. It's amazing how much smaller the artichoke was in my half-century-older eyes. Where did that 'giant' artichoke go? The restaurant was so worn down and tattered - definitely an overrated tourist trap from my memory. The fried artichokes were still good, but I heard that there are many more places to buy them in Castroville these days.